The St. Kitts and Nevis Bureau of Standards (SKNBS) was officially established on 8th day of March 1999 under the National Bureau of Standards Act No 7 of 1999 now the National Bureau of Standards Act, Cap. 23.15. The Act provides for the establishment of a Standard Council to administer the affairs of the Bureau under the Ministry of International Trade, Industry, Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
The Bureau of Standards has the major responsibility of protecting the environment, health and safety of consumers. Its activities also focus on preparing, promoting and generally adopting standards on a national, regional or international basis relating to structures, commodities, materials, articles and other things offered to the public commercially, hence promoting standardization, quality assurance and simplification in industry and commerce.
To deliver the highest quality of service in the areas of metrology, food, water and environmental testing and monitor compliance to establish standards and regulations in order to foster the improved quality of life for the people of St. Kitts and Nevis.”
To improve safety and quality in order to foster a culture for continual improvement.
- To prepare, promote and generally adopt standards on a national, regional or international basis relating to structures, commodities, materials, articles and other things offered to the public commercially.
- To prepare, frame, modify or amend specifications and codes of practice.
- To test precision instruments, gauges and scientific equipment, for determining the accuracy and the calibration of standards used in industrial and commercial activities.
- To maintain testing laboratories for the purpose of testing and providing facilities for examining commodities, products, materials, processes, and practices, and in so doing to conduct such research and investigations as may be necessary.
- To act as custodian of the national standards of mass, length, capacity, time, temperature and electrical measurement.
- To certify those products, commodities and processes that conform to the national standards
- To control, in accordance with provisions of the Standards Act, the use of standardization marks and distinctive marks
- To collect and disseminate information on standards and related technical matters, nationally, regionally and internationally.
- To function as the National Enquiry/Focal Point
- CaribbeanRegional Organization for Standards and Quality
- Customs and Excise Department
- Hotel and tourism establishments
- Manufacturing division
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Health
- St. Kitts and NevisChamber of Commerce (SKNCIC)
- Systima Inter American Metrology Mandate
- Travel industry
- World Trade Organisation
St. Kitts & Nevis Bureau of Standards
Ministry of Industry, Commerce & Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 186
ST KITTS & NEVIS
Tel: 1 (869) 465-5279
Fax: 1 (869) 465-3852